Thursday 20 June 2013

Chanel Rouge Coco Shine: Pygmalion

Hello Everyone!

This is my very first blog post, even though I have been entertaining the idea of starting a beauty blog for a while. I have just got back from holiday and bought some things in Duty Free, so I thought this was the perfect timeto start this blog.

This post will be a review of Chanel's Rouge Coco Shine lipstick. I bought the colour Pygmalion which is a limited edition from the L'été Papillon de Chanel summer 2013 collection. First off, I want to say that the collection is absolutely gorgeous. It was inspired by the wings of a butterfly and includes blue and coral hues with a couple of metallics thrown in. Here's what the press release says.


"The dazzling colours of butterfly wings inspire a joyful look for Summer, with the enchanting collection L´été Papillon de Chanel. Creative Director of Chanel Makeup Peter Philips envisions electric shades of gold, pink and platinum to set eyelids aglow, with lashes fluttering in whimsical aqua, lime and blue hues. Crisp peach and bright raspberry grace the lips, while nails finish the fleeting mood in glimmering shades of intense coral, deep blue green and heavenly blue."
The collection includes a number of shades of lipglosses, lipsticks, eyeshadow stylos, nail varnishes, mascaras, an eyeshadow quad, and one cobalt blue waterproof mascara. I decided to get the Rouge Coco Shine lipstick in Pygmalion which is a bright watermelon: perfect for summer. It retails at £24 in the UK, which is expensive; I've never paid so much for a lipstick before, but sometimes it's nice to treat yourself! 


The Product:


Rouge Coco Shines are sheer lipsticks with moisturising properties. They contain a number of emollients and feel like a balm upon application. Chanel claims that the Rouge Coco Shine lipsticks hydrate for up to 8 hours thanks to the "Hydratender Complex". I couldn't find any information on what this is exactly, or the science behind it, but my lips certainly felt softer after use.

I've been looking for a product like this for ages. In spite of it being from the summer collection, I feel that this shade is very wearable all year round. It is one of those products that brightens up the face, even if your aren't wearing any other make up. Due to the nature of moisturising lipsticks, the staying power is nowhere near that of a matte formula. However, I found that the staying formula of this product is quite good: it lasted for about 2.5 hours until I felt that it needed to be touched up. Furthermore, even when the glossy sheen had faded, the colour was left on my lips like a stain,

Another couple of things to note: this product has a light floral scent, but it is not offensive and it disappears quickly. It also contains a small amount of titanium dioxide (used in sunscreen), but there is no SPF indicated on the packaging.

The Verdict: 

I really like this product and I do not regret paying over £20 on a lipstick. The packaging and appearance of it partially justify the ludicrous price tag, but it is a good product. I absolutely love this shade, but there are lots more available in the permanent collection (I swatched a few and some were more pigmented than others). It is easy to apply and looks lovely and natural on the lips. I feel like it makes my face look brighter and more awake. It is quite good as a balm, but I probably wouldn't use this as my go to lip balm because I believe that there are other, better products for that purpose. However, the look, feel and finish of this are just wonderful.


Swatches:

It isn't as sparkly as this image suggests, more of a shine.

Before
After


Follow on Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. Duty free is always great! I've wanted to try a Chanel lipstick for so long!x

    ReplyDelete
  2. i so Need one of these lipsticks look Amazing

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I'll reward you with chocolate and love.