Tuesday 1 October 2013

The SO Project: Mascara

Mascara is definitely an important product that you can't really miss out if you're going to wear makeup. Bare lashes tend to look a bit odd when they are contrasted against eye shadow and eyeliner. I have tried a lot of different mascaras, but I've never really stuck to one. I will tend to use anything, and I've never really had any terrible results with mascara, but this isn't to say that there's no such thing as a 'bad mascara'!

Mascara is generally used to enhance the eyes by adding length and volume to the lashes while (normally) darkening them...although you can buy coloured mascara. Depending on the formula, mascara will lengthen or volumise the lashes to different extents. As I always say...it's up to you to choose what you want.



How to apply it


People typically apply mascara after they have applied all of their other make up, because it's much easier than the other way around! You can curl your eyelashes before, as this will pull the eyelashes up and make them even longer before you have put any mascara on. This is an optional, but potentially useful step for those with very straight and downward facing lashes.

You typically apply mascara by coating the lashes by moving the brush vertically. You can also coat the tops of the lashes with the wand if you wish. I like the wiggle the wand while moving the brush, as I find it separates out the lashes nicely. You can also turn the brush, so its point is facing towards you and use this side to coat individual and hard-to-reach lashes.


What do I like?


As I say, I really can't remember using a mascara that I've hated...but then I have never really stuck to one either. At the moment, I am using Le Volume de Chanel and Lancôme Hypnose which are both great. I also reviewed in about June L'Oréal's False Lash Wings/ Flutter which was quite nice too.

I'd say that Le Volume de Chanel is slightly more clumpy than Hypnôse, and works a lot better when you've got rid of a bit of the product from the brush, not to say that there is loads and loads of excess product on the brush, but I just like to build from a minimal amount. It also takes a little while to dry, so wait until it's dried a bit before adding another coat, otherwise the formula will just clump together. I think it adds a nice amount of length and volume, and it lasts all day (which is good, because it's 
expensive!).

                                Le Volume de Chanel                      Lancôme Hypnose





I only have a sample of the Hypnôse mascara, but I think it is wonderful. It is much more defining than the Chanel mascara and I think it's a wee bit more lengthening. It is also volumising in a different kind of way, as it fans out the lashes, rather than coasting them in a thick formula. It dries much faster, so it's really great for those mornings when you need a little something on the eyes, but don't have time to wait for layers of mascara to dry. This also lasts all day, and doesn't flake. It definitely lives up to the fact that it's very well known and well reviewed.

Here is the link for my L'Oréal False Lash Wings/ Flutter full review as well.

Also, this is my new camera's debut on my blog, please everyone make him feel welcome etc etc.



Follow on Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. I love the pictures, you can really see the difference in the different number of coats! xx

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I'll reward you with chocolate and love.